More

    Neighbours stars are ‘very scared’ that they’re ‘staring down the barrel of unemployment’ amid reports the show is set to be axed

    The cast of Neighbours is in trouble, with suggestions that the show’s 37-year run may be coming to an end.

    Many of the show’s younger cast members are concerned about what this could imply for their careers, according to an article published by Woman’s Day on Monday.

    ‘They’re scrambling. Some have told their agents to set up meetings with Home and Away’s casting directors,’ a source told the publication.

    ‘It’s finally sinking in for them that they’re staring down the barrel of unemployment. They’re all very scared.’

    However, not everyone is concerned; according to reports, some of the show’s longtime cast members have ‘knew the time was coming for years.’

    Alan Fletcher, Ryan Moloney, and Jackie Woodburne, among the show’s more senior cast members, are said to be glad to retire, according to the article.

    ‘They’re in the middle of severance negotiations and given what their salaries are now – some are on $15,000 a week and that’s not including royalties – they’re all happy to retire gracefully,’ added the insider.

    Neighbours’ future was said to be at risk earlier this month after British broadcaster Channel 5 decided it would no longer air the show.

    According to a story from TV Tonight at the time, work on the long-running soap was halted, and the cast was summoned to a meeting.

    ‘As stated in the email to Neighbours cast and crew, if another broadcast partner comes forward, it is our aim to maintain our affiliation with Neighbours,‘ a Network 10 representative told TV Tonight.

    ‘Network 10 remains committed to the show, its cast, and crew, and hopes that Fremantle will find a new production partner.’ We’ll keep you updated as more information becomes available.’

    A Channel 5 representative told Digital Spy earlier this month that the network was focused on ‘expanding our investment in original UK drama.’

    According to a report in The Sydney Morning Herald, Fremantle Media executive producer Jason Herbison claimed the show would be’rested.’

    ‘Our audience is stable, and Channel 10 would love to keep the show going if we could find a new broadcast partner to replace Channel 5,’ Herbison wrote in an email to workers earlier this month.

    ‘These discussions are ongoing, however, there is no new broadcaster at the moment and production must end, effectively resting the show.’

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Must Read